Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Samata School



The Samata School which is a five minute walk from my home stay is a school of about 1700 students. The entire school is made from locally grown bamboo. There are several separate classroom buildings surrounding a large courtyard at the center of which is a large statue of Buddha. I stayed in one room which was the school library. There were only a few hundred books, almost entirely consisting of English books about math and science, as well as some story books and fairy tale books. Since my teaching experience is limited, it was decided that I would fair better with a small group of students instead of the normal class size of 45. I limited my subjects to comments about my own life in the United States, my job as a librarian and my personal home environment with my two dogs. During the last session, the students asked about songs and we sang the Wheels on the Bus. We read the book about Going on a Bear Hunt which I explained was typical of the books I read each week at our storytime.