Friday, February 19, 2010

Thoughts before my trip to Kathmandu, Nepal


Here is a picture of me during one of my Storytimes in the library at which I work. I am a public librarian with the County of Los Angeles. One of the first things I will show the children of Nepal is where I come from, across the wide Pacific Ocean thousands of miles from the City of Kathmandu. Nepal is a landlocked country while I live about a fifteen minute walk to the ocean. Kathmandu is a very culturally diverse city as is Los Angeles. In the city of Artesia (within Los Angeles County) there are many people from India and Nepal. And the city of Hacienda Heights (also within Los Angeles County) has the largest Buddhist Temple in the entire United States. Web address of the temple is http://www.hsilai.org . So, we have similarities and differences. I look forward to sharing this with the new friends I will make in Nepal.